Friday, March 14, 2014

Red Coat Restyled and Red Coat Art

I've been wanting a red coat

I've decided I collect coats.  When you collect something,
you can keep adding to your collection, right?

Especially if one can find a great bargain,
so I found a coat at a thrift store that had great
P O T E N T I A L

It was a soft wool in the shade of red I wanted.
The only problem was, it was not cute.
That is where the POTENTIAL came in.


I prefer sewing projects that are fast and not too involved.
This took longer than I'd planned, but it was fairly easy.
I opened the hem so I could get to the inside to make some seams and darts
to make the coat more fitted.  Then I took the belt and made cuffs and a back placket.
The buttons are from a vintage coat I had, and I bought 2 smaller ones
that matched quite well for the cuff, and added red lace
~ to make the sleeves longer and for cuteness factor ~



This photo is too pink, due to the sunshine, but what a great color!

And today, when I tried this vintage fur collar on it,
Va - va - voom!!!!
I wish my dress forms had heads.

I still need to sew the hem back in.  And wish I'd finished this while
it was still cold out!  Oh well, when next winter comes,
I will be in
R E D

While working on theses photos today
I was inspired to do a watercolor sketch

of a woman in a red coat and hat
with a vintage fur collar

She has just spotted a robin in a tree
and knows she will be shedding her warm coat soon!




I think Lady Mary of Downton would look
brilliant in this outfit, don't you?

~ Violet ~






9 comments:

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Violet! Your rework on this coat is amazing.. You have transformed it into an exquisite addition to your collection.
I just adore your watercolor.. She is just lovely!!!
Wait till Anita see's this, she will flip.
Blessings my friend,
Penny

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I AM HERE. I had no idea you'd be posting on this, and that is good because I love a surprise.

What you did to this coat is phenomenal and BRAVE! Sewing for me is a very stressful endeavor, though fun. But to know how to pleat and get it all to look as if this is how it was originally, is brilliant. Violet, then to boot, you make the art of it. You my friend, are just a sensation, and everything you do turns to gold, or er......RED, AQUA, PINK, etc.....

Palomasea said...

Oh WOW Violet!! I am in awe here, but not surprised, for, like the incredible women above, you are gifted in many ways!
It is almost hard to believe such a plain coat was transformed in this way...BRAVA!! Gorgeous! Yes, the key word is "potential"...
And you know, I have those very buttons...they are waiting for just the perfect piece to embellish.
Stunning color, and yes, Lady Mary would love this...
Such a beautiful watercolor as well...
You inspire!
Have a splendid Sunday...
Blessings,
- Irina

The Dainty Dolls House said...

That is ever so pretty, love what you did to it!! Have a lovely week xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I wore my red coat a few days ago with my boyfriend jeans and HIGH HEELS! I thought of you my dear one...and thank you so much for coming to visit me this morning! I just got home and I'm relaxing now, waiting for the storm to hit tonight. Your photos today of the cake and MISS THANG with her crown just astonished ME!

Your visits and comments mean so much to me! BISOUS BISOUS! Anita

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Thank you Violet! The fence has been a long project, but it will get done one day.. I have to do a little at a time because of the expense. I am on the home stretch. Yippeeee!
Was that video funny or what!
I am afraid that is just what my Jasper would do with an ice cream.. The entire cone, all at once.. And your dog ate the birthday cake? Oh dear, but you gotta love them, cake face and all.
blessings,
Penny

Palomasea said...

Thank you so much, dear Violet, for your visit! :)
And thank you for the kind compliment...I am experimenting...my work is that of an amateur, but a passionate one!
Keep sparkling, friend...
xoxo,
- Irina

Divine Theatre said...

You are a creative genius! Just beautiful!

xo

Andie

Betsy said...

Gorgeous coat! It is fabulous, girl!
I LOVE the changes you made and that lace on the cuffs is just the perfect touch!
remodeling clothing is a THING with me, so I am impressed with your changes!
hugs,
Betsy